Tuesday, 25 October 2011

on to the next phase

There are a number of potential ideas percolating away in the background. I would like to do a Supplementary edition purely on the Hummel...


but that is a long term project with a lot of collecting ahead of me. However with the TauchPz volume nearly done the next phase of the project is starting to take shape.

Just because the main 5 volumes were completed this did not mean the end of the photo collecting. But how to evidence this? Although using Blurb allows me to update the books at any point I didn't want to go down this route as it somehow muddied the waters - a book should really be a fixed point in time, that is part of their value. I also didn't want to wait until a complete Second Edition seemed possible.

Currently I have started looking at the possiblity of a more magazine style update that doesn't completely mirror the original Volumes in style but allows additions to their content and understanding on a semi-regular basis.


Here are the first thoughts for the cover of UPDATE NO1. This first update will cover all 5 volumes but this may not always be the case. I suppose it is dependent on the photos that come my way what the content is at any given point. The timing of these will also vary, currently I am hoping for an annual update - perhaps a x-mas special. The proposed format is portrait with two images on most pages allowing the overall page count to drop and therefore reduce the cost.


Updating the supplementary editions such as "Barbarossa Stowage" could be in the same format but would be secondary to the blogs and I imagine appear less frequently. Occasionally content might necessitate joint updates.


Or there are certain units of which collecting photos depicting their activities is easier than others and these may lead to monographs.


For this to work some collaboration over unit organisation, structure, characters and history would be needed and I have already put out some feelers.

Friday, 14 October 2011

TauchPz Volume

The TauchPz Volume is so near to completion. There are a couple of collectors I have been in touch with to fill gaps who I just need to confirm the use of their images. With that in place the photo side of the book will be complete with the total number of photos now 90 covering all units.

I just need to get my finger out and put some time aside to finish the models and diagrams.


I have got on with the underwater parts for the final model and finished the engine door covers. I will cast these in resin so I can fit them to all the models.


This image shows a comparative view of the options available and what I have done to the Tristar gun cover by refining the shape a bit to replicate the molded shape of the top and bottom edge and added some surface texture. The two on the right are the Tristar options pretty good and certainly the top one is the best out of the box option. Unfortunately the fixing plate around the outside edge lacks the rivets of the original, hence my addition which I used Archer new water slide resin rivets for. Not as tricky as I had expected, these are a really great idea and I will certainly use them again. The rubber one on the bottom left is the Dragon version used in their Ausf E and CyberHoppy Ausf D. It is frankly very poor. Nothing like the original it resembles a canvas cover more than a molded rubber item and the frame around it is over scaled and completely lack rivet detail. Unfortunately this is representative of 90% of the Tauch parts in the Dragon kits - only the exhausts have any redeeming features.

However I do like the idea of using "rubber" for this part - in this case DS plastic although it is solid and misses the potential. I am thinking about exploring some materials available for casting this item as it will allow posing the gun in a way that replicates the crumpling of the seal.